We want to help as many people as we can achieve their dream of home ownership. That’s why we support First Homes - a government-run scheme in England designed to help first-time buyers get on to the property ladder by offering discounted housing prices.
How does the First Homes England Scheme work?
You can get big discounts on house prices of between 30% and 50% (compared to the market price set by an independent valuer) if you’re eligible for the First Homes scheme. Once the discount has been applied to a property, it will be passed on when the property is sold, so that future first time buyers can also benefit from the scheme.
You’ll need to have at least 5% of the discounted price available to put down as a deposit, and a mortgage in place for at least 50% of the discounted price.
Visit the government website to see how to apply for a property through the First Homes scheme.
Who is eligible for the First Homes England Scheme?
National criteria (everyone must meet this):
- all applicants must be first-time buyers
- your household income must not exceed £90,000 if you’re in London or £80,000 if you’re outside London
- you’ll need to have a mortgage (or home purchase plan) in place for at least 50% of the discounted purchase value.
Local authorities can also apply their own criteria:
- they may set a lower income cap if they can provide evidence it’s needed
- they might apply a local connection test based on residency, employment in the local area or a family connection (serving members of the armed forces, recent veterans and their families will be exempt from local connection tests)
- they might want to prioritise key workers for the scheme.
How we can help you
If you’re eligible for First Homes, we could recommend a suitable mortgage from our range, which includes first-time buyer mortgages that only require a 5% deposit. We’re also here to answer your questions about First Homes, or any of the other affordable housing initiatives we support.