We compiled some of the most frequently asked mortgage terms, as well as questions and answers to help you find the answer you might be looking for.
If you have been given this option it will be stated within your mailing pack, and you can choose to switch to another mortgage product without us giving you advice.
You can only use this option if:
- You don’t want to make further changes to your mortgage, for example the length of your remaining mortgage term; and
- You’re confident that you can identify the right mortgage product for your needs and circumstances; and
- You’re happy to take responsibility for your decision; and
- You’re able to access our website to make your product selection.
If you make your own decision to select a product on a ‘without advice’ basis, you won’t benefit from the protection of the Financial Conduct Authority’s rules on assessing the suitability of the mortgage product for you and you won’t be able to claim for this under the FSCS protection.
What do I need to do next?
If you're eligible and you’d like to switch to another of our mortgage products, without us giving you advice, you can do this online at skipton.co.uk.
You might need advice if:
- You’re unsure about which mortgage product is suitable for your needs and circumstances; or
- Your personal circumstances have changed (e.g. changes to your income, marital status or financial position) which means you would benefit from a full review of your mortgage arrangements; or
- You want to review any other aspect of your mortgage, e.g. if you want to borrow more money or change the length of your remaining mortgage term.
Our qualified mortgage advisors offer a free advice service over the phone or via video link where they will recommend a mortgage product for you based on your circumstances. Appointments can take up to an hour, to make an appointment with our advisors call us on 0345 607 9739.
How do I know what my new monthly payment will be?
You can use our mortgage calculator to give you an indication of what your monthly payment might be on any interest rate. Just enter the mortgage balance, term and rate. Your most recent mortgage balance can be found at the beginning of your maturity letter, although it’s worth bearing in mind this may not include your latest monthly payment and should not be used as a figure to fully pay off your mortgage.
Your Mortgage Illustration and Offer will show your specific mortgage payment based on the exact balance and term remaining on the date it is issued.
What if I currently make regular overpayments on my mortgage?
If you currently make regular overpayments on your mortgage, we will continue to collect the higher amount until you tell us to do otherwise.
Fixed Rate Mortgages
The monthly interest rate, and therefore your monthly mortgage payment, is guaranteed to stay the same for a set period – even if other interest rates rise during this time. However, if interest rates fall during the fixed period, your monthly payment won’t change, so you may end up paying more than you would with a variable rate mortgage. At the end of the fixed rate period your rate will change to our Mortgage Variable Rate.
Discounted Variable Rate Mortgages
Your monthly payments are based on a discounted rate set at a certain level below our Residential Mortgage Variable Rate for a specific period of time. This means your rate and payments could go up and down during the discounted period. At the end of the discount period your rate will change to our Residential Mortgage Variable Rate.