Skip to main content

LV= Home Insurance FAQs

To help you understand more about your Skipton Home Insurance policy, here are answers to some of your most commonly asked questions.

Skipton Building Society Home Insurance is underwritten by LV=.

Frequently asked questions

You'll automatically have an account if you saved a quote or if you chose to sign up after buying or renewing a policy. Visit to log in to your account or set up a new one.

Log in to your account to view and download your policy documents and view any saved quotes. If you don’t already have one, you can register for your new LV= account.

When you saved your quote, you should have received an email from LV= with details of your quote and how to access it again. If the email isn't in your inbox, please check your spam or junk folders in case it's in there. If you still can't find it, you can re-set your password in My Account by clicking the ‘I've forgotten my password’ link.

Your saved home insurance quotes are valid until the cover start date. You'll still be able to view them in LV=’s My Account after that point, but you won't be able to buy them. Simply start a new quote if your old one’s no longer valid.

No, LV= don't offer you a discount if you're in a neighbourhood watch scheme.

Everyone's home insurance excess is different. It varies depending on the type of claim you're making, your personal circumstances and how much voluntary excess you agreed to when you bought your insurance.

To find out how much you might have to pay if you had to make a claim, please check the document pack LV= sent you for more information.

LV= can insure you if you have:

  • not made more than two household claims within the last five years
  • no unspent criminal convictions (excluding motoring convictions).

LV= can't insure you if the property:

  • is occupied by tenants, they offer landlord insurance for this (available for renewals only and not new applications)
  • has previously been flooded or is currently under a flood warning
  • has suffered from, or is showing any signs of, subsidence, landslip or heave
  • isn't built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with slate, tiles, metal, asphalt
  • isn't in a good state of structural repair
  • is a mobile home
  • isn't self-contained
  • is unfurnished
  • is unoccupied
  • has eight or more bedrooms
  • has six or more bathrooms
  • is a grade I or grade II* listed property, or the equivalent in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

This list is not exhaustive.

LV= can offer you home insurance on your listed property if:

  • you live in England or Wales and your home is Grade II listed
  • you live in Scotland and your home is Grade C listed
  • you live in Northern Ireland and your home is Grade B1 listed.

LV= can't cover:

  • Grade I or Grade II* listed properties, or the equivalent in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

It's a property which would be of special architectural or historic interest. As a useful tool you can check whether a property is listed by searching The National Heritage List for England.

We are not responsible for content on other websites.

No, LV= do not cover homes which are used for any business purposes other than paperwork, computer work or telephone calls.

Yes, as LV= don’t provide cover for lodgers. When you apply for home insurance with LV=, they’ll ask you to confirm that the property insured is your main residence and lived in by you and your family.

Yes, when you apply for home insurance, LV= will ask you if you or anyone living with you have any unspent criminal convictions. If you don’t disclose this information, it may invalidate your home insurance.

Yes, if you get a burst pipe at home, LV= will do everything we can to put things right. To make a claim, give LV= a call on 0330 678 5005.

Phone lines will be closed on bank holidays.

Lines open:

Monday — Friday 8am — 8pm
Saturday 8am — 4pm
Sunday Closed
*Calls will be recorded. For Text Phone, first dial 18001.

Defaqto are a UK leading independent financial information business, and they have given our Home Gold insurance a 5 Star Rating.

There are two financial services regulators; the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Yes, when you apply for home insurance with LV=, they’ll ask you to confirm that the property to be insured is built of brick, stone or concrete and that roof is made of slate, tile, metal or asphalt.

Yes, with LV= home insurance or contents insurance, they’ll pay 50% of the cost to replace any undamaged item, if it forms part of a matching set. For example, if your sofa is water damaged and unrepairable, they’ll replace that, as well as give you 50% of the cost towards a matching armchair.

Yes, LV= use approved tradespeople and suppliers across the UK to inspect damage, replace goods and make home repairs on their behalf. Better still, any repairs their recommended specialists carry out are guaranteed for 12 months.

Some people prefer to use their own tradesmen for repairs. If you decide this is the best option for you, you must speak to LV= before doing so. Please give them a call on 0330 678 5005.

Phone lines will be closed on bank holidays.

Lines open:

Monday — Friday 8am — 8pm
Saturday 8am — 4pm
Sunday Closed
*Calls will be recorded. For Text Phone, first dial 18001.

You'll need contents insurance for your own belongings, such as clothes, gadgets, furniture or televisions. You’ll also need it for your landlord's furniture but only if your rental agreement makes you responsible for them.

Subsidence is downward movement of the ground supporting the building, most commonly caused by:

  • the shrinkage of clay subsoil following long spells of dry weather
  • trees and other vegetation which extract moisture from the soil causing it to shrink
  • leaking drains, which wash away the subsoil below foundations
  • mining activity.

Trace and Access of water or oil leaks relates to the cover needed for the costs involved in finding the source of an escape of water or leakage of oil.

You can pay by debit and credit card or by monthly or annual direct debit at no extra charge.

Still need help

You can call the insurers direct on:

Mon - Thurs
8:00am - 8:00pm
8:00am - 6:00pm
9:00am - 5:00pm
Calls will be recorded. For Text Phone, first dial 18001.

Important information

Buildings and contents insurance is arranged by Skipton Building Society and provided and underwritten by Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited. LV= and Liverpool Victoria are registered trademarks of Liverpool Victoria Financial Services Limited and LV= and LV= Liverpool Victoria are trading styles of the Liverpool Victoria General Insurance group of companies. Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited, registered in England and Wales number: 3232514 is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, register number: 202965. Registered address: 57 Ladymead, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 1DB. Tel. 0330 1239970.

Version Info: